Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2015

Lots of work has been going on lately, just not a lot of it posted online. None actually. So here's a good catch up to what I've been doing the last month.

Before I finished the body and pulled it off the rotisserie I figured I should use the spray booth for the other bits and pieces that needed painting. Turned out there was a lot, this image shows just a few. Parts were sandblasted then coated in Durepox, a really nice epoxy urethane.

The doors needed some work too. There were dozens of little dents and the construction of the doors didn't let me get to the other side to body work them out. So a little filler was used and those tricky 'cuda bodylines made nice and new again.

Ready for topcoat.

I added a drain plug to the diff housing before getting it blasted.

The rough old fuel tank was full of pinholes, so I decided I'd weld it up and add some baffles while I was at it. I had it acid dipped when I dipped the car body, so it was pretty clean. I used a tank sealer after I'd welded it up, as seen in the bottom left image. Not sure yet whether or not I'll coat the exterior in Raptor Liner.

Thanks to some rad local businesses I have some final 5mm alloy brackets for the seat. Big thanks to the Water Cutting Company and Kia-Ora Sheetmetal!

Final test fit of the trunk mounted battery and Pelican case bracket. I love this sort of stuff, I could photochop a rad robot from this image.

I reinforced the floor under the trunk mounted battery box with this bracket.

All sealed and painted.

The pedals were blasted, painted, rebushed, then drilled for the billet pedal covers. I'll probably get these anodised black with some other bits soon.

The fourth big shipment of parts from the states arrived. There was a big box with new front and rear glass too. I wonder if those 325s will fit... 

These were probably the coolest parts of the lot, adjustable rebound Fox shocks tuned by Hotchkis. Apparently very nice.

Lucky I have a spare room for all this stuff.

I added the final brace to finish off the steering quickener bracket, then it got prepped and painted too, along with all the other column bits.

Speaking of painting, here's some of the test cups I've sprayed to try out various top coat options. Most of them are to test the kind of sheen level (or lack of it) I want in the clear coat. I've ended up going with a PPG product designed for Lamborghini's.

Here's the car ready for topcoat. I sprayed it in sections, A-pillar and door jambs first, then engine bay yesterday. Tomorrow I'll be spraying the body, so I should have some images of the finished body soon.

Cheers and happy new year!

5 comments:

  1. feck that looks mint with the light primer body and black interior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great Aaron! What tires did you order? I've been looking for Performance tires for 15 Inch wheels myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nick, how's your cuda?
    That aluminium block on your website sure looks good!

    There's not much choice for performance 15" tires, at least not in the kind of sizes suited for these cars.
    I have a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR tires, but they aren't that great for cornering.
    I've been thinking about a lightweight set of wheels with Hoosier R7 tires. They only come in 275 wide and are pretty short at 25.5". But a square setup with them on the front and rear should work pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and those big tires in the image above are a set of Mickey Thompson ET Streets, 325/50-15, for some traction when I want the car to hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 325 ! Will be a close fit ;-)
    I've been tying up some loose ends and saving up for the engine project. I've been looking at Avon CR6 ZZ - saw them being used Quote a lot at the Historic Le Mans race last year - but unfortunately they are off the chart pricewise...

    ReplyDelete